We here at AngryMetalGuy.com review tons of albums from all sorts of subgenres within metal. If you’re here reading this, it’s because you know we’re the best metal review site around and, therefore, you want to write for us. Well, here’s a chance to show your mettle (metal?). You can apply to write for us now (after you read this post)!
What makes you a good candidate? Aside from the very obvious—you like metal, know quite a bit about it, and have opinions—there are a few things that will make you a better candidate than others.
- An excellent use of the English language. Please note that this does not mean you need to be a native speaker—we have plenty of excellent writers who aren’t—but it is key that you know the difference between its and it’s or that you know how to use a thesaurus to avoid banned words like “samey.”
- The ability to edit your own texts. Writing is about editing. The first draft is never about producing a real review. That happens on the 4th or 5th draft. If you go 300 words over the limit, do you know how to edit it down?
- An interest in finding new music. Most bands aren’t signed to Nuclear Blast and you probably won’t get high profile reviews early on. Finding good bands that aren’t popular or finding a niche in grindcore is a good way to enjoy what you’re doing here.
- Timeliness and the ability to hit deadlines. We get it: we don’t pay, life gets in the way, and we’ve all had our share of life interceding. But deadlines are key to keeping everything working and your ability to hit them is a key to working at the blog for a long time. Ideally you will submit a review a week when you write for AMG.com.
- The ability to accurately follow directions. We work with a style guide and you should learn how to use it.
How to Apply
- Select any mediocre metal album—any record you don’t feel strongly about one way or the other—and write a review of it that is no longer than 700 words. Read our reviews on the site and format yours accordingly (song titles in quotes, bands in bold, album titles italicized).
- Prepare a separate biographical paragraph that includes all the following information: (a) name; (b) age; (c) location; (d) writing experience (if any); (e) genre preferences (i.e. death, black, doom, power, etc.); (f) a realistic assessment of your free time to work on assignments.
- Send the review and bio to writers[AT]angrymetalguy[DOT]com by no later than the 20th of July, 2018.
- Patiently await consideration without harassing the AMG staff or adding to the already excessive hate mail quotient.